How we rate legal WV online gambling sites
To make things easy for you, we examine all online gambling sites in West Virginia. Our aim is to find the best sites for your gambling endeavors. As such, our team of experts has listed some of the key consideration factors. They include:
License and regulations
For any casino site to operate legally in West Virginia, it must have a valid license from the state’s authorities. Some sites serve players from different countries. As such, they may have more than one licenses. Normally, you can find information about a particular casino site on its website or casino review sites. Unless a casino is licensed, we can never recommend it.
Safety and security
Never register at a site where your security may be compromised. Your money and personal details should remain private throughout. However, you might not be familiar with the key security areas to look into. That's where we come in. We check to ensure that the site uses top-tier servers integrated with the latest SSL encryption technology. More to that, the site should regularly check and upgrade its systems to patch up any security breaches. Generally, there more security areas to check, and we do that leaving no stone unturned. The results will then dictate our ranking process.
Trustworthy and reputation
You need to play at a reputable site where you are sure to get your winnings. Some casinos may withhold your winnings, especially when you hit the jackpot. This would be more than frustrating. As a player in West Virginia, we don't want this happening to you. That's why we highlight reputable sites only, sites worth your trust.
Number and variety of games
In the online gambling industry, gaming evolution is no more evident than in the casino games themselves. For good reasons, online casino games are way better than those offered in land-based casinos. That's why most gamblers prefer WV online casinos. Therefore, you need to play on a site with plenty of games and modern gaming options. Thrillingly, West Virginia doesn't disappoint here. Usually, sites with wide game selections have the upper hand in our rankings.
User experience (mobile casino)
A site's overall functionality plays a significant role in attracting prospects in the industry. As such, we dive deep into every aspect of the website to ensure that everything a player needs is there. Some sites have confusing user interfaces and poor graphic designs. Such sites have the worst user experiences. If it’s hard to place wagers, then then it’s not worth playing at that site. Luckily, we recommend sites with some of the most outstanding user experiences in both desktop and mobile environments.
Bonuses and promotions
In online gaming, bonus offers are some of the best tools to increase your winnings without risking much of your money. As such, they are major attractions for online gamers. Casinos realized this and therefore bring promotional offers in different shapes and sizes. Unfortunately, these offers come with various requirements that can sometimes be frustrating. As such, we scrutinize each of them to see how favorable they are. By so doing, we can rank and recommend the sites.
Besides the regular bonus offerings, some WV online casinos have special rewards programs for loyal players. As a member, you will be entitled to various benefits unavailable to regular players. If a casino has such a program, it is likely to feature in our recommendations list. However, some loyalty programs may have some unreasonable requirements that may discredit them.
Payment and withdrawal options
Most online casinos in West Virginia provide fast, safe, and secure online payment methods to their customers. However, not all of them fit in this category. Word spreads fast, and if a site withholds player dues or charges high fees, it is likely to be blacklisted. Therefore, we recommend sites with no issues with their cashier systems. Any online casino recommended by us will never have shady payment dealings.
Online gambling laws and regulations in WV you need to know about
Besides leniency, there is better clarity in West Virginia’s gambling laws. This ensures that everyone knows what awaits them in case they break any of them. Here are some gambling laws and regulations in West Virginia you need to know about.
- The legal gambling age is 18 years for the lottery, racing, and bingo, and 21 years.
- Playing at an illegal gambling site is a punishable misdemeanor.
- Placing wagers on any game of chance is illegal.
- Cheating on any casino game on either a public or private gambling site is also illegal.
- You can own a slot machine in West Virginia, provided you are of legal gambling age.
There are other gambling laws, most of which concern casino or sportsbook operators. For example, an operator should own no more than three casinos. Also, there is a set tax percentage that they should pay per year. All these laws need to be met. This will avoid unnecessary conflicts with the West Virginia authorities.
Are West Virginia online casinos safe?
Most online gambling sites in West Virginia have well-established security protocols to curb any threats, be it internal or external. They upgrade their systems regularly and use encryption software that keeps all data private. Moreover, their support teams are well-known for prompt responses, especially where security is the primary concern. However, you also need to keep your account login credentials private. Never share them with anyone. Also, avoid logging into your casino account using public computers. This will minimize the risk of password theft. Generally, most legal gambling sites in West Virginia are safe to play.
List of licensed online casinos in WV and who operates them
In West Virginia, there are hundreds of online casinos that operate legally. Some of them serve WV residents only, while others serve players from other states too. Some of the popular legal online casinos to play in West Virginia are:
DraftKings is a leader in daily fantasy sports and was founded in 2012. The site made its way into the online casino space on 15th July. DraftKings is legal in several US states, including West Virginia. Its popularity comes from the number and quality of DFS offered on the site. Besides, the sports betting options are better compared to some other sites. The user-interface is also outstanding. All these strong points make DraftKings a popular choice for WV gamblers.
BetMGM Online Casino can be referred to as the result of a joint venture between GVC Holdings and MGM Resorts International. The casino opened on 27th August 2020 and their site offers a classy well-rounded online gaming experience to anyone who registers. Its level of mobile compatibility is beyond words. In addition, there are plenty of live dealer games to try. Besides West Virginia, BetMGM is legal in several other US states like New Jersey and Pennsylvania.
Fanduel, sometimes called Betfair, is also one of the biggest names in the US sports betting activities. It partners with The Greenbrier, a land-based casino in West Virginia. Their website is well-established, with great offerings in daily fantasy sports. Fanduel's operator saw the need to add a casino section due to its increased company profile. As such, the casino already has its presence announced in West Virginia.
Golden Nugget Casino
The Golden Nugget Online Casino operator also made a deal with The Greenbrier Grand Hotel to introduce online casino games. However, this deal is not yet approved. Once approved, Golden Nugget may reach West Virginia sooner than we think.
WV online casino bonuses and promotions
Whether you are a regular online gambler or it’s a one-time thing, it’s hard to turn down a promotional deal. Such offers make the gameplay sweeter and worth coming back for more. Here are some of the offers to grab in West Virginia:
- Sign up bonus – A sign-up bonus, also called a welcome offer, is an enticement offered to newly registered players. Usually, you’ll need to deposit a certain minimum amount into your casino account. By so doing, the casino will credit a certain amount of bonus funds depending on the size of your deposits. Notably, almost every online casino in West Virginia offers a sign-up bonus to its new customers.
- No deposit bonus – This bonus is normally given to new players upon registration. However, you don’t need to deposit any amount into your casino account. Besides, the bonus money is fixed. Therefore, you can’t get anything.
- Match bonus – Often, WV online casinos match your deposit amount with a certain set percentage. After that, they credit your account with the respective bonus money. The amount you get will be directly proportional to the amount you deposited. As such, the more you deposit, the bigger the match bonus.
- Reload bonus – Reload bonuses are similar to welcome offers, only that the former are given to players who have made several deposits. They are aimed at rewarding players who continuously play on the site.
- Free spins – Free spins give you the freedom to enjoy your favorite slots without spending your own money. Depending on the casino you are playing, you can get up to 500 free spins. What is more, you can win more spins by spending the previous ones. Most importantly, casinos tend to specify the slot games where you can use the free spins. As such, you can’t use them on all slot machines.
- Promo codes – Online casinos have different ways to claim their bonus offers. One of the popular ways is via the use of special bonus/promo codes. You’ll need to provide these codes when registering or claiming the offer. Failure to do so will forfeit the bonus on offer. Usually, you can get the promo codes on the casino’s website or from one of the casino’s affiliate sites.
- Free play – Simply put, free plays are credits you get to play on a certain game and win real money. Any amount you win with the free play will be yours and therefore withdrawable immediately. This allows you to grow your bankroll without contacting your bank. Notably, free plays are given to slot players only.
Online casino games
Online casinos give you access to a wide variety of game titles regardless of where you are. From online slots to casino classics like roulette and blackjack, everything is available. Besides, the playing environment doesn’t really matter. You can enjoy your favorite games on a smartphone or a desktop computer. Here are the most popular games to play in WV online casinos:
- Slots – Online slots are the most popular casino games as they give you a better chance to win big. Besides, they do not require top-level mastery of skills or strategies to play. You only need to spin the wheel and wait for the outcome. If lucky, you can even win progressive jackpots.
- Roulette – Roulette is a table game that involves spinning the wheel and waiting to see where the ball settles. If it settles on the predicted number, you win. Otherwise, you’ll lose. As such, it is also a game of chance. Online casinos offer different versions of roulette, including: American roulette, European roulette, French roulette and several others. Therefore, you can choose one that best suits your interests.
- Blackjack – Blackjack is a card game but is usually classified as a table game. It is one of the digital favorites with several variants. You can also play blackjack with a real dealer where you interact with them via a live chat function.
- Baccarat – Baccarat is also a card where you'll have two or three starting cards. In this game, the hand with the highest score emerges the winner. Notably, baccarat is a game of chance, traditionally played by high rollers. However, the current game versions accommodate all players regardless of your wager amounts. It's an excellent game to play and is available in most WV online casinos.
- Poker – If you love poker games, there's a wide range of options for you. West Virginia has several solid sites where you can play poker games. The best thing about poker is that you won’t be playing against the house. Instead, the gameplay will be against other players. This gives you a positive long-terns win-rate.
Popular sports betting areas – What can I bet on?
Sports bettors, too, have a wide range of betting options in West Virginia. You can bet on any of the following sports or leagues:
- Horse Racing – Horse racing in West Virginia is a popular event that attracts audiences even from other countries. There are different horse racing tournaments, all of which you can bet online. Besides, you can even watch live as the action unveils.
- NHL – Most WV online sportsbooks offer NHL wagering on single matches. This may include prop bets and futures. The odds are player-friendly, and therefore you can win big if you get lucky.
- MLB – MLB is a baseball tournament normally concentrated with 60 matches to play. Every match is aired live, and you can watch them via online sportsbooks. As a bettor, you'll have several bet options, including monylines and totals. All you need to do is choose a bet wisely, place it and wait for the outcome.
- NBA – If you are 21 years or older and within West Virginia's state lines, you can place bets on any NBA match. There are plenty of online platforms to help you get started.
Daily Fantasy Sports (DFS)
Daily Fantasy Sports involve picking player rosters and compiling points depending on the selected player’s statistics. This is done over a certain season. The winner will be the person who drafts the team with players who have the best statistics. These sports have been around since 2007. Notably, the DFS industry in the US is run by two giants – Fanduel and DraftKings, both of which are legal in West Virginia. Some of the sports offered in daily fantasy include:
- Soccer, among others.
Deposit and withdrawal methods available at WV online gambling sites
Funding or cashing out winnings from your account in West Virginia is both safe and secure. However, you need to play on a regulated site since they offer popular options, including:
- ACH / eCheck – These are simply the electronic form of the paper cheques you take to your bank for approval. Several casino sites in West Virginia allow eCheck payments, but you'll have to provide your bank details.
- Debit / Credit cards – WV online gambling sites accept payments made via popular credit/debit cards such as Visa and Mastercard. Interestingly, accepted payments are immediately credited into your account to allow uninterrupted gameplay.
- Neteller – Neteller is an e-wallet that allows fast, safe and secure online payments. Whether deposits or withdrawals, its transactions are instant. The best part is that you fund your casino account directly once you have a verified Neteller account. A good number of WV online gaming sites accept this mode of payment.
- Play+ – Play+ is a prepaid card used in every US gambling site. It uses a safe cash-free model that doesn't require you to share your card details with the casino. Play+ is the most convenient method to use in your gambling endeavors in West Virginia, as it is accepted in almost all Us casinos.
- PayPal – PayPal is also an e-wallet accepted globally as an online payment method. This method has been in use for quite a while, and you can even use it to play online merchants. For this reason, several WV online casinos allow you to deposit and withdraw via PayPal.
- PayNearMe – PayNearMe is an alternative payment method for anyone who lacks a credit or debit card. It even allows you to keep a close eye on your bankroll so you don’t spend more than you can afford to lose.
- Wire transfer – Wire transfer, sometimes called bank transfer, allows you to instantly transfer funds from your bank account to your casino account. It also allows you to cash out your winnings from your casino account directly to your bank account. However, processing withdrawal requests takes some time, usually 1 to 5 business days.
- Skrill – Skrill is one of the most convenient e-wallets around. It allows you to make payments in over 2o currencies. Besides, all transactions are instant. Safety, too, is inevitable. Therefore, it is a better choice for your casino payments. Luckily, most WV online casinos have Skrill as one of their banking methods.
How to sign up at a WV online casino
To join the online gaming fun, you need to create an account at one WV online casino. The process doesn’t take long. However, you need to have met the minimum legal gambling age. Here’s how to get started:
- Visit the casino’s website and click the “Sign-Up” button.
- Fill in the registration form with your details.
- Some of the common details you must provide are name, email address, home address, phone number, username, selected password, and your Social Security Number (SSN), usually the last four digits.
- Submit the form and wait for verification.
- Once verified, you are in!
History of online gambling in West Virginia
West Virginia was the fourth US state to legalize online gambling. The state permitted casino operations on 27th March 2019 where the final bill became law even without Governor Jim Justice’s signature. The industry needed some time to get to its feet. Therefore, it took a little while to gather the necessary infrastructure. Once the process was done, the industry’s official launching was done on 15th July 2020. The world-renown DraftKings was the first to market. While West Virginia is considered a small gambling market, it's still a great prospect.
WV Gambling and the effect of online casinos
Since online gambling became legal in West Virginia, various casino operators have made attempts to acquire relevant licensing. While some don’t meet the minimum requirements, most of them do. As such, there are plenty of online casinos serving WV gamblers. This has made things a lot easier since you can now place bets right at the comfort of your home. Besides, your money and all personal details remain safe. The banking methods are also fast and secure. This has attracted a larger customer base in the online gambling space. Unfortunately, location-based casinos have suffered customer loss. However, a few people still prefer brick and mortar casinos.
Responsible gambling in WV
Gambling remains a highly addictive activity. As such, there are still incidences of problem gambling where players can't control their gambling behaviors. Luckily, West Virginia has resources to address this issue. You can always get in touch with the West Virginia Problem Gambling Help network via the phone number 1-800-GAMBLER. This number is in service all round the clock since counselors are always ready to help. If your problem needs special attention, they can refer you to any of their 50+ qualified therapists. Help is near than before. Yours is just to get in touch and follow the guidelines.
West Virginia Online Casino summary
Besides being a cool place to live, West Virginia is a nice state to get all the fun you would ever want. The fun went a notch higher when online gambling became legal back in 2019. You can easily visit an online casino or sportsbook, register, and start playing. What is more, there are various incentives to boot your gameplays. Payment methods are fast and safe to use, and you’ll have a wide range of options. If you are looking for the best casino games to play, West Virginia online casinos have a great selection for you.