Pennsylvania Sportsbook Bonuses and Promotions
Due to the high number of sportsbooks in the market, every operator strives to stand out among the crowd. There are several ways to get an edge over others. Offering generous bonus offers and other incredible incentives are among them. Such bonuses include:
- Sign up bonus: A sign-up bonus is an offer that sportsbooks give to newly registered players. Most of them offer these bonuses as part of the welcome package. In most cases, this bonus ranges from 10% to 100% of your first deposit amount. Therefore, the amount you get depends on the amount you deposit. However, there are certain terms and conditions attached to the sign-up bonus. Therefore, it is advisable to check them first.
- No deposit bonus: With no doubt, the albatross of PA online sports betting is the no deposit bonus. You don't have to deposit any amount to qualify for this offer. Additionally, you don’t have to claim it since the sportsbooks credit it directly to your account. However, no deposit bonuses normally bear a lot of restrictions and high rollover rates.
- Match bonus: Of all bonus rewards in sportsbooks, match bonuses are the most lucrative ones. However, few sportsbooks in PA offer this bonus as their primary offer. Often, sportsbooks use match bonuses as special incentives in big sports activities such as the World Cup of Soccer. The rates vary from one sportsbook to another but can go up to 100%.
- Reload bonus: If you intend to grow your bankroll within the shortest time possible, consider grabbing reload bonuses if the sportsbook offers them. Mostly, reload bonuses are the same or slightly lower than the sign-up bonuses. However, just like sign-up offers, this bonus has some wagering requirements that must be met before cashing out the winnings.
- Odds boost: Odds boosts are special bets given to bettors at a lower price than the normal bets. Most sportsbooks post odds boosts daily. Therefore, make sure you regularly check their website to ensure that you don’t miss any offers.
- Cashback: Cashback bonuses, sometimes called moneyback bonuses, are offers you get in case you are unlucky. If you lose, you will get a certain percentage of your stake back within the stipulated time. Excitingly, there are no play-through requirements in this offer. Therefore, you place your bets confidently, knowing that in case you lose, you'll get some money back.
- Promo codes: Not all bonuses offered in PA sportsbooks appear in your account automatically. You must claim some of them using some unique numeric, alphabetic, or alphanumeric combinations. These combinations are called promo or bonus codes. Most sportsbooks in PA have these codes displayed on their websites. Therefore, it shouldn’t be hard to locate them.
- Risk-free bets: This is an offer that works in favor of newly registered bettors. These bettors place bets, and if they lose, they get a bonus bet equivalent to the amount of their first wager. In simple terms, risk-free bets allow you to predict a certain outcome and wait for the results. If your bet loses, you have absolutely nothing to lose. So, if the bet wins, you get the winnings immediately. However, every bettor gets this offer once.
- Loyalty bonuses: Loyalty bonuses are the most popular incentives in a sportsbook's rewards program. However, to qualify for this offer, you need to have been active for some time. This is because loyalty programs are only meant for punters who consistently place bets. For this reason, they come with fewer terms and conditions. And, they offer better value compared to other bonuses.
Sports Betting Apps for iOS and Android
While some casino games don’t fit on mobile screens, sports betting is almost perfectly suited for mobile gadgets. As a result, more bettors prefer betting remotely using browsers or applications installed on their mobile gadgets.
That’s why every operator allowed to offer sports wagering in PA is also free to offer online sportsbooks with their mobile applications. Most of them have taken up the challenge and have crafted some of the best gaming apps. The following sportsbooks in PA have already launched the best mobile applications for iOS and Android operating systems.
- FOX Bet
List of Sports and Leagues You Can Bet on in Pennsylvania
Since the sporting calendar in PA is always full of events throughout the year, you have a wide range of sports to place bets on. Also, some games and leagues seem to draw more interest than others. Therefore, you have the chance to wager on the most popular sports events in PA. The following are the major games and leagues.
- MLB – Pennsylvania is one of the US states at the top of the sports betting curve. MLB is certainly one of the sports that boosts this state. At first, it may be hard to read the odds and lines since they appear confusing. However, you'll discover how easy it is to bet and win big in this league with time.
- NFL – NFL is the biggest sports league in town. The Pittsburgh Steelers and Philadelphia Eagles football teams often challenge each other every four years. Also, they participate in different conferences. This offers great opportunities for bettors in PA to wager and win big.
- UFC – The Ultimate Fighting Championship is now a fixture of mainstream sports coverage in PA. Excitingly, this league has attracted many fans such that it has extended to training gyms and other fitness programs. Therefore, sportsbooks in PA saw the need to include it in their list of leagues to bet on. You can place your bets on both physical and online platforms. Either way, the results are genuine.
- NBA – In Pennsylvania, the NBA is the second-most widespread pro league after NFL. It is a league that features 82 games for the regular season and postseason filled with suspense. For this reason, there is no shortage of fun-filled moments, whether you are a bettor or just a fan. Besides, you can find easy lines, odds, futures, and props bets.
- NCAAF – College football betting has become well embraced in PA. Unlike other states with many strict regulations regarding betting on NCAAF, PA has fewer and easy-to-follow rules. Sportsbooks offer point spreads, money lines, futures, over/under, and parlay betting on this game. From regular seasons to the national championships, PA sportsbooks have them all. Why not try it out?
- MLS – Major League Soccer is a professional soccer league for men. The soccer federation of the US sanctions it. In most cases, it comprises 26 teams. However, this may change depending on the federation's agreements. Many sportsbooks in PA offer this league as an option for its fans to place bets. Just like other leagues, it is easy to wager and wait for the outcome.
- Boxing – Just like the UFC, sportsbooks offer boxing matches as part of their sports games. You can place wagers and watch as you lose or win. That’s gambling.
- NHL – NHL betting is now live in Pennsylvania. It has odds on all the 31 teams that take part in the 2021 Stanley Cup. Stirringly, the two big teams – Pittsburgh Penguins and Philadelphia Flyers, will be the major participants. In addition, most sportsbooks in PA will avail this event for wagering. Therefore, it is a great opportunity to reap big in the gaming industry.
- Horse Racing – If you love to wager and witness live events, PA sportsbooks got you covered. Events like horse racing are available for bets. With six horse racing facilities, it is possible to have more races in a year. Therefore, you can place bets and win severally on horse racing.
Top PA Online Sports Betting Events You Can Bet
In a normal year, PA’s sports betting calendar is full of numerous sports events from January to December. The following are the common events you can bet on.
- College Bowl: With the high number of college football games, this is an event you shouldn’t miss. Famous teams in the NCAA’s Division I take part in these games. It is an event you can bet on, in PA sportsbooks.
- March Madness: This is one of the largest, most exciting sporting activities in PA. It is a men's basketball with 68 participating teams. And, it's a single-elimination tournament offered as a betting event in several PA sportsbooks.
- College football: College football is live in PA all year round. With the numerous matches available for bets, why not check them out?
- Kentucky derby: This is a horse racing track event, with thousands of spectators in extravagant formal attire and colorful hats. Most sportsbooks in PA have an unending schedule of this event throughout the year.
- Triple crown: This is a racing event for both male and female athletes. There are divisions for each age group, and each race is live in most PA sportsbooks. Therefore, if you love human races, this is the best event to bet on.
- NBA finals: NBA finals is a basketball championship series held every year. It's a best-of-seven-game series live in most PA sportsbooks.
- Super Bowl: Super Bowl is one of the NFL's biggest game of the year since it attracts an audience of over 22.7 American citizens. With such fame, the game is available for bet in almost every sportsbook in PA.
- Stanley Cup: If you are a hockey fan, you shouldn't miss any match in the Stanley Cup championship. It is an event where different hockey teams compete for the trophy and other awards. All matches are available for bet in different sportsbooks in PA.
- The Masters: The Masters is a golf event also available for bets in Pennsylvania.
- Oscars (Academy Awards): Oscars is an awards event in the film industry that happens every year both in PA and in the international arena.
- Wimbledon: This is arguably one of the oldest tennis events in the world. All matches are played in two weeks between June and July of every year. If you are a tennis fan, this is the best event to place your bets on.
How We Rate Legal PA Online Sportsbooks
- License and regulations – The best sportsbook to place your bets in is one with a valid license from the gaming authority of PA. In most sportsbooks, the license number and the date issued are indicated at the bottom of the website pages. A license guarantees that the operations of that sportsbook are legal. Therefore, bettors are safe from fraud or theft.
- Safety and security – Every regulated sportsbook in PA takes players through an intensive verification process. This process is aimed at ensuring both player identity, and money is safe from potential theft. Also, most of them have SSL-encryption software that keeps personal and financial details away from third parties. Therefore, it is extremely safe to play in these sportsbooks.
- Trustworthy and reputation – It is a common behavior for players to give their reviews about a certain sportsbook. Therefore, it is wise to check the reviews first before registering at any sportsbook in PA. Mostly, these reviews are all over the internet. If a player was frustrated with a particular sportsbook's services, you might need to reconsider your options. However, if most of them were satisfied with the services, it would be wise to check out the sportsbook.
- Number and variety of games – The number of sports games and leagues available for bets also matters. You need to ensure that your favorite game is offered in the sportsbooks. If you love a particular league, check if it is available. Generally, a sportsbook with a wide range of sports games will have something you’ll like.
- User experience (app) – The website design of a sportsbook also matters. Also, since most sportsbooks have developed mobile applications, it is wise to check their user interface. The best sportsbook to choose from is one with an easy-to-navigate website, accessible via different devices. And, the mobile app should be well -designed, with every sports game available in the sportsbook. Therefore, ensure you check them first.
- Bonuses and promotions – It is a common practice for sportsbooks to motivate their users with bonuses and promotions. From welcome offers to rewards bonuses, sportsbooks in PA have them all. However, some have strict and hard to follow rules that you should be aware of. Therefore, the best sportsbook to place your bets in is one with more lenient rules.
- Loyalty program – A loyalty program is a plan meant to appreciate and motivate loyal bettors. In most PA sportsbooks, the loyalty program is known as a VIP program. The best sportsbooks have loyalty programs that earn bettors’ great prizes and cash. Therefore, you should consider registering in one with such a program.
- Payment and withdrawal options – The number of payment options available also matters a lot. You need to check whether the sportsbook of your choice allows your preferred payment option. If it doesn't, then it's time to check out another one.
Different Sports Betting Types Offered in Pennsylvania
In case you are new to sports betting, you should know the different types of bets to place on. They include:
- Money line: It is the most straightforward way to place bets. Here, you'll predict the winner without a point spread, and is common in hockey and baseball games.
- Parlay: This is a single bet linking more than one wagers so that they can win as one. However, it is the riskiest bet ever to place.
- Spread: This bet works in such a way that you don't bet directly on who will win in a match. Instead, you'll bet on who will cover the spread created by the bookmaker.
- Future: This is a long-term investment. It is quite straightforward since you will bet on the outcome of a match. This may be predicting which team will win or if the two teams will draw.
- Teasers: This one allows you to merge your bets on two different game matches. It is simply a small twist of the parlay bet.
- Over/Under: This is a bet where a bookmaker sets a line for the total number of goals, points, or runs in a match. You'll then have an option to bet whether the outcome will be higher or lower than the line set.
- Round Robin: These are multi-team bets that involve at least 3 to 10 teams. The teams are then used to make different parlay combinations, which will work like the basic parlay bets.
- In-game: These are bets that allow gamblers to add more wagers even after a match has already kicked off.
How Do In-Play Wagering and Live Betting Work?
Live betting allows wagering while the game is in play. Therefore, if you missed the kick-off point, you can still place bets no matter how far the match has gone. Here’s how it works.
Live Betting / In-Play Wagering
Although they both sound similar, in-play is different from in-game betting. In-game wagering involves wagering on a game in progress, and odds change during a commercial break or a time out. On the contrary, the odds in in-play wagering change after the game is over.
Live betting has the following advantages:
- Continued pregame wagers: In live betting, there are multiple betting options available before and during the game. They include moneylines, point spreads, and totals. This will increase your winning chances.
- Milestone achievement: Since sportsbooks update the data in real-time, all odds are fair. Most operators place an advantage into the wager price. Therefore, some odds may be fairer than others, thereby increasing chances of winning big.
- Partial game results/micro-events: Another benefit of in-play wagering is that you can observe the match first, then place your bet later. While observing the games, you’ll get to see partial results that will help you place the bets wisely.
Sportsbooks in PA have different ways of rewarding winners. However, it depends on whether the winnings resulted from free bets or your deposit amount. Either way, the following are the common payout options.
- Free bets – these are bets where you wager on sports games without depositing any amount. Whether you get lucky or not, you have nothing to lose. However, you’ll have something to gain if you win.
- Bonus dollars – these are bonus amounts you get after winning big. You should place bets using them. If you try to withdraw, the casino won’t process the request.
- Straight cash – this is the actual money you get after winning. You can withdraw the amounts at any time.
Daily Fantasy Sports (DFS)
Daily fantasy sports are games where tournaments are done within hours or days at most. DFS hasn't been completely legal in PA, but you can still play them. The state lawmakers have spent years trying to figure out ways of legalizing and regulating them. Therefore, we can expect the legalization of these sports any time soon.
Payment and Withdrawal Options at PA Online Sportsbooks
To complete your sportsbook account setup, you need to fund it. Below are the different payment options to use. You can use the same methods to cash out your winnings.
- Debit/Credit card: Most sports betting sites in PA allow payments with Visa and Mastercard. However, this comes with some caveat. This is because some sites will reject your card since most banks don't support gambling.
- PayPal: PayPal is an e-wallet that allows both deposits and withdrawals. However, it is not common in PA due to its high cost of transactions and tax rates.
- PayNearMe: This is a banking method with an app that generates a barcode on your mobile gadget for your preferred account. To complete the transaction, you should take your device to stores like CVS and 7-Eleven to complete the transaction.
- Skrill: Skrill is also an e-wallet that is considerably cheaper compared to PayPal and most PA sports betting sites allow it. To deposit via Skrill, you just need to transfer money from your Skrill account to the sportsbook’s account.
- Neteller: Neteller works in the same way as PayPal since they are e-wallets of the same kind.
- ACH/e-Check: This option moves funds electronically from your bank account to the sportsbook account. It is super easy, with no complications.
- Cashiers cage: Every site’s mobile app allows bettors to go to the cage of a local casino affiliated with the app and make deposits from there. That’s called cashier page payment.
How to Start Playing at a PA Online Sportsbook
Playing at a PA online sportsbook is a straightforward process. With the following step by step guide, it should be easy to play and place bets on the various sports games. However, you need to be within the state's boundaries to place bets.
- Find sportsbook in our list – The first step is to select the casino of your choice. There are plenty of them.
- Download app – Once you have decided to join the casino, download the mobile application from their website, and install it on your phone.
- Register account – To register for an account at any sportsbook in PA, you only need basic information such as name, email address, and the last four digits of your social security number. Once you have those, open the mobile app, and fill the required fields with those details.
- Deposit money – To fund your account, select your preferred deposit method and follow the step by step guides on the site.
- Place the first bet – To make the first bet, navigate to your bet slip, observe the upcoming games and their odds. Select the games you want to place bets on, add the amount to stake, and confirm that everything is correct. If all is in order, place your bet and wait for the outcome.
PA Sports Betting Laws and Regulations
Betting laws and regulations in PA are quite lenient compared to those of other states. First, all PA casinos between categories 1 to 3 qualify for a license in sports betting. However, each license bears only one online sport betting skin.
Secondly, online and retail sports betting must pay a 34% tax and an additional local share assessment of 2%. If an operator fails to pay this, they may be at loggerheads with the PA authorities.
Responsible Gambling and Self-Exclusion
Gambling should be a form of entertainment. However, it can be a harmful addiction to some people. That’s why the Gaming Control Board of Pennsylvania offers a self-exclusion program.
This program aims to help bettors who suffer from problem gambling, to keep away from gambling for some time. It is a voluntary exercise, where individuals decide to stay away from sportsbooks.
To enroll in a self-exclusion program, you need to sign up on the PGCB website and select the length of the exclusion period. The board will then process your request and then ban you from accessing any sportsbook for the stipulated duration.
Pennsylvania Sports Betting History
Sports betting has been a source of concern in US states. Authorities have held several legal consultations trying to figure out whether sports betting should be legal or not.
However, from 2010, states started to permit wagering on sports games. As a result, PA legalized sports betting in 2017. This was after the US Supreme Court abolished the PASPA ban. It cleared up the way for state-based legislation.
Before this ruling, Nevada held a legal monopoly on wagering on single games in the US. Once states had permission to make their laws, PA took advantage of the chance and offered sports betting to its residents.