How we rate legal New York online gambling sites
Before choosing a casino, you should ascertain that it is legit and secure. The process can be a tedious one, more so if you are new to the industry. Therefore, we have gone the extra mile to test online casinos. Customarily, we only recommend those we strongly believe will give you ample time. Our rankings follow solid ranking criteria, as you will see in the following section.
License and regulation
We have to ensure a casino is fully certified and regulated by reputable authorities before recommending it. The New York casino's licensing status should be readily available. Usually, casinos licensed and regulated by strict parties tend to observe all the industry rules. Such sites are also legit; hence, you can trust them with your sensitive information.
Safety and security
Trustworthy and reputation
Transparent casinos process deposits and withdrawals within the stated timeframe. They also explain everything about their websites and what players should or shouldn't do under the terms and conditions. Furthermore, reputable casinos resolve customer's complaints timely. Majorly, when reviewing a casino, we take into account these aspects.
Number and variety of games
The number of casino games has remarkably grown. As such, we know that most players look for NY casinos with an assortment of casino games. Usually, online casinos with a mix of game categories like Roulette, Slots, Baccarat, Video Poker, and live games are attractive. Excitingly, these are the casinos we focus on when reviewing casinos.
For an enjoyable gaming experience, you need a user-friendly casino. The interface has to be well-organized with clearly labeled tabs. More so, the casino should have a clean mobile interface and be responsive. Its games should seamlessly integrate on mobile devices. Principally, when a casino meets these criteria, we consider it a great site.
Bonuses and promotions
The quality and amount of bonuses and promotions are vital for online casinos. Players love casinos with fabulous offers like free spins or welcome bonuses. Excitedly, these are the factors we are keen on when reviewing casinos. Generally, we prefer casinos with regular different promotions. Also, we prioritize casinos that have reasonable terms and conditions.
Loyal players look forward to exclusive rewards at New York online casinos. Websites with loyalty programs attract gamers more than those without. Also, the ease of joining the clubs determines how likely players are to consider a casino. Fundamentally, these are the factors we assess when testing out a casino.
The advent of technology has made banking quite fast. Today, casinos partner with different payment providers so you can deposit/withdraw easily. With this in mind, we make certain a casino is using quick and secure payment methods. Similarly, we check deposit or withdrawal limits and processing times.
Great casinos ensure games can reach them using different mediums. Also, they make sure they have a responsive and friendly support team. Principally, we rank casinos that meet this criterion. Normally, we test the time a casino takes to respond and the quality of its services.
Online gambling laws and regulations in New York
NY gaming laws are clear and quite restrictive. The state heavily restricts residents and visitors from accessing online casino gaming services. Essentially, it only allows New Yorkers to take part in sweepstakes and sports betting. Also, lotteries are legal. The state is primarily home to several regulated markets, including pari-mutuel betting and Class-II and tribal gaming. Furthermore, the state regulates charitable games, and it's legal to participate in these games.
In fact, they are prevalent under legal conditions. However, while most casino activities are illegal in New York, people can access iGaming action via social online casinos. Indeed, social casinos are legal in NY. Majorly, they feature the same games you would find at online casinos. Offshore online casinos are illegal in the state. The only exception is for casinos owned and operated by other American states.
Are New York gambling sites safe?
The gaming sites are extremely safe. Recognized authorities regularly audit them. Also, they are SSL encrypted and have robust firewalls that are impossible to bypass. Together, they protect your data from suspicious access. Additionally, they ensure you can securely transmit sensitive information. Equally, the casinos do not share your information with unauthorized parties. This way, you can play undisturbed about cybercrimes like hacking or phishing.
New York doesn't allow online casino activities within its borders except in tribal and commercial sites. Regardless, New Yorkers have access to sweepstakes casinos. Basically, by choosing this gaming method, you can play your favorite casino games and win cash prizes or gift cards. Some of the best sweepstakes sites are LuckyLand Slots, Chumba Casino, BetMGM, and BetAmerica.
List of online casinos that are active in New York and who operates them
If you are looking for the best online casinos that accept New York players, below are some of the greatest sites.
- BetAmerica – America's premier legit gaming destination, BetAmerica, operates under the ownership of Churchill Downs Incorporated. The site is ideal for sports betting and casino gaming.
- BetMGM – This is no doubt an industry leader. The operator is revolutionizing online sports betting and casino gaming in New York and the US. MGM Resorts International and Entain Holdings jointly operate BetMGM.
- BetRivers – Rush Street Interactive, Inc. operates this award-winning casino. Previously, the casino's owner was Rush Street Interactive but later added the term Incorporation. Notably, this was after entering into a partnership with dMY Technology Group, Inc.
- DraftKings – For sports betting and daily fantasy sports, DraftKings is your to-go operator. The casino is together run by Diamond Eagle Acquisition Corp and SBTech Global Ltd.
- PointsBet – In the USA, PointsBet, the casino is under the management of PointsBet Holdings Limited. The operator is famous for sports and racing betting.
- Unibet – Kindred Group operates this establishment that offers both sports betting and online casino games.
- FanDuel – This operator, whose owner is Flutter Entertainments, offers daily fantasy sports, horse racing, and online casino games.
- Caesars – Operated by Eldorado Resorts, Caesars gives you access to a variety of casino games and sports betting.
- theScore – The founder of this sportsbook, John Levy, oversees its activities. The operator offers betting markets for different sports.
Expected online casino bonuses and promotions
Playing at NY casinos means that you will get different bonuses and promotions. Although the offers are more or less the same across casinos, what sets them aside is the quality, amount, consistency, and wagering requirements. Here are some of the popular bonuses:
- Sign up bonus – Most NY online casinos welcome you to their websites with a bonus offer. Fundamentally, you receive the bonus after creating an account at your chosen casino. For most sign up bonuses, you must deposit some funds to qualify. Normally, casinos specify the amount.
- No deposit bonus – Imagine being able to play games without making a deposit. Well, no deposit bonuses make this possible. Your casino gives some extra funds with which you can play your preferred games.
- Match bonus – Match deposit bonuses are no doubt the most popular casino offers. For this, your casino will match your deposit with a given percentage up to a particular maximum amount. Excitingly, if you deposit the maximum qualifying amount, you may find yourself enjoying a really huge match deposit bonus.
- Reload bonus – Once you start playing at your chosen casino, often, it may gift you a bonus after a deposit. For example, you may find your casino offering reload bonuses for your subsequent deposits up to a particular deposit. Regularly, some casinos give regulars this bonus to encourage them to fund their bankroll. Conversely, you may enjoy such bonuses under VIP programs.
- Free spins – Spinning popular or new slots for free has never been this fun. With free spins, you get additional spins on specific slots at absolutely no additional costs.
- Promo codes – Usually, some casinos tie some bonuses to promo codes. In essence, these are the codes you use to claim those particular bonuses. Similarly, you may come across bonus codes on a casino's affiliate marketing pages. If this is the case, you must ensure the page is trustworthy before clicking the bonus code link.
- Free play – Some casinos also call this type of bonus free cash. Essentially, free play bonuses allow you to play games like Roulette, Poker, Blackjack, and other select games using free cash.
New York mobile casino Apps for iOS and Android
Mobile gaming is still limited in New York. In particular, mobile sports betting and casino gaming are illegal. Mainly, what this means is that while you can enjoy casino action on your phone, there isn't much action to look forward to. Primarily, you can join casinos like BetMGM for a chance to play on the go.
Such sites have incredible iOS and Android apps. Installing the app meant for your device takes your gaming to a whole new thrilling level. Importantly, the apps are fully optimized for mobile play. For this reason, you can take your chosen casino with you everywhere you go. Besides, you get a broad selection of gaming options when you choose to go the mobile way.
Popular casino games in New York
New York casinos offer a plethora of different casino games. Here, you can enjoy virtually any game. However, this will depend on your chosen site. It is for this reason that you need to settle for one of our recommended casinos. Popular games in New York Casinos include:
- Slots – For years, slots have managed to be the leading online casino games. The slots in the state have diverse themes, animations, and graphics. Particularly, this makes the adventure of immersing yourself in titles like Uncharted Seas, Mega Joker, and Starburst quite breathtaking.
- Roulette – This table game classic is widely played across New York. Predominantly, American Roulette is the most popular Roulette variation. Other top picks include Double Ball Roulette, Multi-wheel Roulette, Rapid Roulette, and Mini Roulette.
- Blackjack – Casinos in the state of New York offer different Blackjack variations, giving you more than one way to enjoy this timeless game. Some of the options you can consider are Classic Blackjack, Atlantic City Blackjack, Vegas Strip Blackjack, Blackjack Switch, Vegas Single Deck Blackjack, and Pontoon.
- Baccarat – Another classic table game that delivers endless fun. Notable variants in NY online casinos include Punto Banco, Mini-Baccarat, Baccarat Squeeze, Salon Privé Baccarat, and Speed Baccarat.
- Poker – Fans of poker can try their hand at several video poker variations. Notable selections include Deuces Wild, Caribbean Stud Poker, Jacks or Better, Texas Hold'em Poker, and Tens or Better.
- Craps – Another casino game that is not only fun and rewarding but also easy to play. You can try your luck at craps variants like Bank Craps, Crapless Craps, High Point Craps, New York Craps, and Simplified Craps.
Live dealer games in New York
Nothing beats the thrill of playing casino games in real-time. Remarkably, it creates a gaming atmosphere almost similar to the one in brick-and-mortar casinos. Even though you haven't had the chance to play at these facilities, you'll still love the sensation of live dealer games. In detail, New York casinos have excellent live casinos. Here, you get to enjoy variations of Live Roulette, Live Blackjack, and Live Baccarat as you interact with the friendly and professional dealers.
Deposit and withdrawal methods available at New York online gambling sites
Casinos offering gaming services to New Yorkers work with many payment processors. Principally, this is to ensure gamers can choose from a variety of options. Again, with many providers, they can reduce delays. The following are some of the common banking methods.
- ACH / eCheck – When using ACH / eCheck, the deposit amount is electronically withdrawn from your checking account and transferred to the casino. For withdrawals, the casino will send your winnings to your account.
- Debit / Credit cards – Specifically, these are the most popular mode of payments in New York online casinos. Popular debit/credit cards include American Express, Discover, Maestro, MasterCard, and VISA. The cards are ideal for both deposits and withdrawals.
- Neteller – Offering secure and fast services, Neteller allows you to transfer money to and from online casinos. You need a Neteller account to be able to use their services.
- Play+ – With Play+, you can deposit to your online casino using a checking account, Discover Card, MasterCard, or VISA. Moreover, you can transfer your winnings from your casino to your Play+ account.
- PayPal – If you are looking for a swift method to deposit and withdraw your money while playing at NY Casinos, PayPal is the way to go. Also, PayPal is very secure.
- PayNearMe – This is a secure and reliable payment method that allows you to make deposits using bank accounts, cash, and debit/credit cards. The downside of this option is that you can't use it for withdrawals.
- Wire Transfer – Choosing this option enables you to transfer money into and from your online casino. With an account at a bank or credit union, you can opt for wire transfers.
- Skrill – This eWallet makes depositing and withdrawing money so easy, fast, and secure. It's available in several casinos within New York.
How to step-by-step sign up at a New York online casino
All casinos in New York expect you to create an account before you start playing. While the process may slightly differ from one casino to another, largely, it is more or less the same. Below is a step-by-step guide:
- Go to your chosen casino's website and click ‘REGISTER' or ‘sign up.'
- Fill in the registration form as required. Usually, some of the details required include your real names, email, phone number, and last 4 digits.
- If the casino asks if you wish to receive their emails, agree by checking the particular box.
- Tap on ‘CONTINUE' to proceed to the next step.
- Legal NY online casinos require you to verify your account and number.
- Click the email verification link to confirm your email.
- Next, select ‘verify phone' to go through the phone verification process
Your account is now ready, and you can start playing. In case you have challenges with verification, you can reach out to the support team for assistance.
History of online gambling in New York and when does it plan to launch?
In 2013, New York set up four commercial casinos. The casinos offered several gaming options, including sports betting. Once these establishments became functional, many people started to push for the legalization of online casinos. Particularly, in 2018, when Supreme Court gave states the go-ahead to legalize online sports betting and other limited forms of casino gaming activities, many thought New York would legalize online casinos.
Nevertheless, this never happened. To date, online casinos are illegal in the state. However, gamers here have access to sweepstakes casinos, which are a perfect alternative since they replicate casino-like experiences online. Further, the exact time when the state will legalize online casinos is not yet certain. This is primarily because the current Governor seems to lean more on the side of not legalizing extensive online casino gaming.
New York gaming and the effect of online casinos
New York is among the most populous US states. Partly, many residents would potentially join online casinos if they were legal in the state. Gaming experts approximate that the state can make $20 Billion or even higher by legalizing online casinos. Hence, it is a wonder that online casinos remain illegal. Besides revenue contribution, legalizing online casinos in New York may increase cases of gambling addiction. Specifically, this is among the reasons the state is careful.
Responsible gambling in NY
Some people refer to gaming addiction as a hidden addiction. Unlike drug or alcohol addiction, where you can see signs, such signs are visibly absent in gambling. New York is highly committed to preventing gambling addiction and assisting those who may get addicted. Specifically, the New York State Gaming Commission has responsible gaming principles across various casino operations, including horse racing, charitable gaming, and lottery.
Besides, the state collaborates with other organizations to ensure New Yorkers have access to as many resources as possible. For example, if you want to know if you or another person has a gaming problem, you can take the Responsible Gaming IQ test. Alternatively, you can get help from NYS HOPEline if you or someone you know has an addiction.
New York Online Casino summary
New York doesn't allow online casinos to operate within its state lines, except for sweepstake casinos. Online sports betting and pari-mutuel wagering are legal in the state. Notwithstanding, you must join recognized gambling sites to enjoy these activities. Moreover, in sweepstake casinos, you can play various games, including slots, video poker, and table games.
Similarly, deposits and withdrawals are fast and secure. The reason for this is that the casinos only work with payment providers with a proven safety history. Another plus for New York online casinos is that they do everything possible to safeguard your data. The recommended casinos secure sensitive information through robust firewalls and SSL encryption.