Some Online Sports Betting Sites You Can Look Forward to in Michigan:
- FoxBet – Firstly, this sportsbook works in partnership with The Stars Group. They offer sports betting on games like football, baseball, ice hockey, basketball, and more.
- William Hill – Secondly, William Hill is a big boy in the online betting industry. They are in a partnership that is likely to see them operate from two casinos. There is Leelanau Sands Casino and Turtle Creek Casino.
- PointsBet – Thirdly, PointsBet partnered with Northern Waters Casino Resort. PointsBet will provide online sports betting services as per their agreement.
- BetRivers – Then, BetRivers operates under the umbrella of the parent company, Rush Street Gaming. They offer, among other things, casino games and sports betting. BetRivers has partnered with Little River Casino Resort to provide sportsbook services.
- Bet America – Lastly, Bet America is famous for casino games and online sports betting. They partnered with Island Resort & Casino in July 2020. They will offer MI gambling fans exciting online sports betting and casino gaming.
Michigan Sportsbook Bonuses and Promotions
Most sportsbooks offer a vast range of bonuses to bettors in a bid to entice them. However, there are terms and conditions you have to fulfill to qualify for a given bonus. Common bonuses include:
- Sign up bonus – Sportsbooks are giving pre-launch sign-up bonuses to entice bettors. For instance, DraftKings gives a sign-up bonus of up to $1000.
- No deposit bonus – Bettors don’t have to deposit any money to receive this kind of bonus. By signing up and verifying their accounts with a given timeframe, they receive a bonus. For example, FanDuel gives as little as $5.
- Match bonus – You receive a match bonus when you place a bet of a specified amount. The sportsbook can then double your bet amount.
- Reload bonus – Sportbooks may award bettors a reload bonus when they deposit a certain amount of cash on their accounts.
- Odds boost – An odds boost involves increasing odds to favor a bettor. It may also include increasing the payout for a point spread or moneyline.
- Cashback – Bettors receive cashbacks after voiding bets or due to cancellation of a match. But you can only receive cashback in cases of single bets where a game has been canceled. Some sportsbooks give cashback in multi bets where bettors miss winning by a single match.
- Promo codes – Sportsbooks offer different promo codes to existing and potential customers. For instance, new customers receive bonuses by using a particular promo code to sign up. And, existing customers also get bonuses such as deposit doubling or free bets using given promo codes.
- Risk-free bets – Sportsbooks give free bets in cash to their new customers. Note that you cannot withdraw the cash. All you can use it for is wagering. Besides, you only get the winnings. The sportsbooks take back the free bet amount.
- Loyalty bonuses – Some sportsbooks have loyalty programs where bettors get points on their bets. Bettors can redeem the accrued points for different prizes or free bets.
Expected Sports Betting Apps for iOS and Android
Once sports betting apps launch in Michigan, bettors will be able to access them on their smartphones. The following are some of the sports betting apps for iOS and Android devices bettors can expect:
- DraftKings Sportsbook: Easy to download and install. Placing a bet is easy, and so is depositing and withdrawing cash.
- FanDuel Sportsbook: This is the most popular sports betting app. Has a beautiful and user-friendly interface.
- BetRivers: Has lots of in-play betting and clearing deposit bonus is quite easy.
- BetMGM: Besides sports betting, it also offers poker and online casino games under the same login.
- Barstool Sportsbook: Easy to navigate, deposit funds, and withdraw winnings.
- FOX Bet Sportsbook: It is intuitive and packed with features. Gives you live stats and score updates
- William Hill Sportsbook: The interface is user-friendly. The addition of Popular and Top Bets sections makes things much easier for bettors.
- BetAmerica: Has a wide variety of games, and the design is seamless. The search option allows you to find games quickly and filter by the order they like.
- Parx Casino: The interface may not be feature-packed but it is clear, intuitive, and easy to navigate.
- Golden Nugget Sports: An intuitive app with impressive speed. Besides, everything a bettor needs is easily accessible due to the simple interface.
- Wynn Sportsbook: The app operates smoothly and is easy to use. However, your may find the bold white titles difficult to read.
Advantages With Sports Betting Apps
Firstly, bettors no longer have to wait on queues at brick and mortar sportsbooks to place bets, thanks to sports betting apps. Therefore, they can download the apps and install them on their phones. As a result, they save time wasted at sportsbooks.
In addition, Sports apps also enable bettors to analyze live matches and place live bets. Plus, they can monitor their bets for cash out. And, because mobile phones are portable, you can wager anytime from anywhere.
Disadvantages With Sports Betting Apps
Mobile apps have their downside too. It is easy to become a gambling addict because of continued access to your phone. Also, concentrating on other daily chores can become challenging when you have to keep monitoring odds.
When Will Online Sports Betting Launch in Michigan?
It’s not clear when online sports will launch in Michigan after Detroit’s commercial casinos closed because of COVID-19. Furthermore, the Michigan Gaming Control Board hasn’t finalized the rules and regulations to govern online sports betting. However, speculation is rife the launching could come late in the year 2020 or early 2021.
List of Sports and Leagues You Can Bet on in MI
Michigan betting fans can look forward to major sports and leagues once online sports betting launches. Here are some of the sports and leagues you can expect:
- MLB – You’ll be able to bet on both the National League (NL) and the American League (AL) baseball matches.
- NFL – 32 teams feature in the National Football League. The 17-week league runs from early September to late December and gives you over 60 matches to wager.
- UFC – The Ultimate Fighting Championship features gifted mixed martial arts athletes. Bettors will be able to wager online on their favorite athletes to win bets
- NBA – The National Basketball Association comprises 30 teams. 29 are from the U.S. and 1 from Canada. The NBA is the world’s most popular men’s professional basketball league, and most of the games feature in sports betting
- NCAAF – Bettors who love college football will be spoilt for choice when online sports betting will launch
- MLS – 26 men football teams from the U.S. and 3 from Canada participate in the Major League Soccer. MLS matches are available on all major Sportsbooks.
- Premier League – The premier league is one of the most competitive football leagues in the world. It has a huge fanbase in the U.K. and many parts of the world.
- Boxing – Boxing is one of the world’s most popular games you can find on sportsbooks.
- NHL – National Hockey League matches are also available on sportsbooks. A total of 31 teams play in the NHL, giving ice hockey betting fans a lot to smile about.
- Horse Racing – This is one of the most ancient sports in the world. It features two horses competing with each other over a set course.
- eSports – Electronic sports are video game competitions. The popularity of eSports is surging as game developers continue designing cutting edge games.
- LOL (League of legends e-sport) – This is said to be the largest eSport in the world and is watched by millions of viewers.
Top MI Online Sports Betting Events You Can Bet On
There are is a plethora of online sports betting events you can bet. Here is a collection of top games MI bettors will enjoy.
- College Bowl – This involves college football games in the U.S.
- March Madness – Also known as NCAA Division 1 Men’s Basketball Tournament. It is a single-elimination tournament currently featuring 68 college basketball teams.
- College football – This is one of the most popular sports in the states. Top schools generate huge annual revenue from the tournament.
- Kentucky Derby – The Kentucky Derby is a horse race held yearly in Louisville, Kentucky, in the US. It takes place on the first Saturday in May and draws a huge following.
- Triple Crown – The Kentucky, Belmont Stakes, and Preakness stakes form the Triple Crown. It entails three races where three-year-old Thoroughbred horses compete.
- NBA Finals – This is the annual championship series in NBA. It features the Western and Eastern Conference champions, and winners receive the Larry O’Brien Championship Trophy.
- Super Bowl – The Super Bowl is the annual championship game of the NFL. Its formation came as a merger pact between NFL and AFL. It is usually played on the first Sunday of February.
- Stanley Cup – This is the annual championship trophy the NHL playoff winner receives.
- The Masters – It is also known as the U.S Masters and is a major professional golf tournament in the states. The tournament takes place in the first week of April.
- Oscars (Academy awards) – Predominantly associated with the film industry. But sportsbooks give bettors the chance to wager on the nominees they feel will emerge top in different categories.
- Wimbledon – This is the oldest and most prestigious tennis tournament in the world. Since 1877, the tournament has been held in Wimbledon, London, at the All England Club
How We Rate Legal MI Online Sportsbooks
The gambling industry has grown immensely, thanks to the continued evolution of technology. As a result, many players continue to emerge in the online sports betting field. But not all sportsbooks can satisfy your needs as a bettor.
So, you want a reliable betting site to increase your chances of becoming a successful bettor. Here are the factors to consider when choosing a sportsbook.
- License and regulations: Legitimate sportsbooks have a valid license from the Michigan Gambling Control Board. That shows they are committed to obeying the rules and regulations governing gambling.
- Safety and security: The online safety of bettors is vital. An ideal Sportsbook should have protection from hackers and viruses. Security Secure Layer (SSL) protection is core to any online sports betting site.
- Trustworthy and reputation: A trustworthy sportsbook attracts lots of bettors. You can tell how trustworthy and reputable a sportsbook is from the number of positive reviews it gets.
- Number and variety of games: A perfect sportsbook offers its customers a variety of games and betting markets
- User experience (app): The online sportsbook app should be navigable with much ease. Besides, you should be able to access it on mobile devices without facing app layout distortions.
- Bonuses and promotions: Bonuses and promotions are good, and they come in the form of free bets. However, fraudulent sportsbooks run enticing promotions to take advantage of unsuspecting bettors. So, check for reviews to be sure about the promotions.
- Loyalty program: Look at the value of prizes bettors redeem for the points they accrue. The higher the value, the higher the chances of the sportsbook living to your expectation.
- Payment and withdrawal options: Their platform should offer bettors a variety of payment and withdrawal options.
Different Sports Betting Types Offered in Michigan
The following types of sports betting are available across most Michigan online sportsbooks. They are applicable to a wide range of sports.
- Moneyline: This is the easiest bet to place because you simply wager on a specific team or player to win.
- Parlay: It is also known as multi or combo bet, and links two or more individual wagers on a single bet. All the wagers must win for a parlay to be successful.
- Spread: A spread entails wagering on the outcome of an event. The pay-off depends on the wager's accuracy, i.e., whether it is above or below the spread.
- Future: Future betting involves placing a bet on an event that is about to start, and the outcome will be known in the future. For instance, a bettor can place a bet on D.C. United to win the MLS before the season kicks off.
- Teasers: A teaser bet allows you to combine your bets on two different games. You get points to subtract or add to the teams you’ve chosen to improve your point spread.
- Over/Under: A wager predicts the score will be either higher or lower than a specific numeric value.
- Round Robin: A round robin is a type of parlay betting where bettors make multiple bets at once. It can be one large parley tying together the outcome of multiple events. A round-robin can also be several small parleys with all possible event combinations.
- In-game: This involves wagering on a game while it is underway.
How Does In-Play Wagering and Live Betting Work?
In-play betting and live betting is the same thing and involves placing a bet on a sporting event that is taking place. Many sportsbooks allow in-play or live betting and the odds keep fluctuating as the game progresses.
- Live betting / In-Play wagering: Allows wagering when a sporting event has already started
- Continued pregame wagers: As the name suggests, bettors place their bets before a match kicks off. Pregame wagering allows bettors sufficient time to analyze matches before betting.
- Milestone achievement
- Partial game results / micro-events: Partial game results or micro-events occur when, for example, bookies offer odds that a specific ball in a cricket competition will be a no-ball
Michigan sportsbooks are raring to go. Even before the launching of online sports betting in Michigan, they are offering pre-launch bonuses. You can check with different legal sportsbooks in Michigan. But here are the common payouts you are likely to receive.
- Free bets: New bettors often receive free bets from sportsbooks as a welcome offer
- Bonus dollars: Some sportsbooks reward bettors with bonus dollars, which they can redeem for prizes like air tickets, hotel accommodation, etc
- Straight cash: This is a cash bonus a bettor receives from a sportsbook and is free to use on any betting event
Daily Fantasy Sports (DFS)
Besides online sports betting and gambling, Michiganders will also enjoy daily fantasy sports in a regulated environment. DFS became legal in Michigan following the signing into law the legalization bill back in December 2019. Indeed, DraftKings and FanDuel are the dominant daily fantasy sports sites you can get in MI.
Unlike traditional fantasy games, daily fantasy sports run over short periods. The competition can take a week or a day, as opposed to traditional fantasy games that take almost a year. All in all, DFS are paid competitions where winners get a share of a pot funded by entry fees.
You have to, among other requirements, apply for a license to run a DFS business in MI. And, DFS operators pay an initial license fee of $10,000 and an annual renewal fee of $5,000. However, home fantasy leagues can work without a license if they have 15 players and below. Also, they should be playing for under a total of $10,000.
Payment and Withdrawal Options at MI Online Sportsbooks
Bettors can receive payment from online sportsbooks and withdraw it from their online accounts. Once you win a bet, your betting service provider credits your account with the amount you’ve won. Besides, legitimate sportsbooks have distinct payment procedures and timelines.
Some of the payment and withdrawal options at MI online sportsbooks include:
- Debit/Credit card – Mastercard and Visa are the most renowned.
- Play+ – This is a mobile wallet that lets you use your mobile phone number to deposit or withdraw cash.
- PayPal – Indisputably one of the most acclaimed e-wallets in the world.
- PayNearMe – Supports different payment options, e.g., Cash, bank, e-wallets, Credit cards, etc.
- Skrill – Lets you make payment and transfer cash over the internet.
- Neteller – The Neteller e-money transfer service allows you to withdraw cash directly or transfer it to your bank account.
- ACH/e-Check – Automated clearing house supports direct debits and credit transfer.
- Cashiers cage – Players swap money for chips and cash the chips at the cashier’s cage in a casino.
How to Start Playing at a Michigan Online Sportsbook
Interested in playing at a Michigan online sportsbook? Sign up with one of the online legal sports betting service providers in MI. And, here are the simple steps to follow and enjoy wagering on your favorite sport.
- Find sportsbook in our list
- Download app
- Register account
- Deposit money
- Place the first bet
Michigan Sports Betting Laws and Regulations
The 1996 Michigan Gaming Control and Revenue Act contains laws and regulations of gambling. And, it defined different forms of gambling the state permits except sports betting. However, things would change when Gov. Gretchen signed into law the bill seeking to legalize sports betting. That was in December 2019.
Brick and Mortar Sportsbook Locations in Michigan
Several sportsbooks have set up physical betting shops where bettors can wager. Notable brick and mortar sportsbooks in MI include:
- Fanduel Sportbook – Firstly, Fanduel have a brick and motor sportsbook in MI. They launched the sportsbook at Motor city Casino hotel on March 12, 2020 in partnership with Motor City Casino.
- DraftKings – Secondly, DraftKings is yet another reputable sportsbook in the U.S. and even beyond. In partnership with Bay Mills Resort and Casino, they launched their brick and mortar sportsbook in Michigan. They launched it in June 2020 at Bay Mills Resort.
- William Hill Sportsbook – William Hill have a retail sportsbook in Turtle Creek, northern Michigan. They co-own the sportsbook with Turtle Creek Casino.
- PointsBet sportsbook – Lastly, PointsBet is one of the betting companies growing at a fast rate in the US. They launched a brick and mortar sportsbook in Michigan in January 2020. That was after they partnered with Northern Waters.
Other Sportsbook Locations You May Want to Visit in MI
- BetMGM Sports Lounge at MGM Grand Detroit
- Four Winds Sportsbook at Four Winds Casino
- River Rock Sportsbook at Little River Casino
- Barstool Sportsbook at Greektown Casino
- Stage 131 Sportsbook & Lounge at Gun Lake Casino
- BetAmerica at Island Casino
Responsible Gambling and Self-Exclusion List
Too much gambling may result in problem gambling, commonly referred to as gambling addiction. Meaning, the urge to wager is so strong when you start winning attractive sums of money. Bear in mind that gambling is a game of pure luck. Therefore, you might win big and lose big on the same day.
Here are some of the crucial guidelines to help you be a responsible gambler:
- Always set a betting bankroll limit and stick to it.
- Only gamble for entertainment purposes.
- Treat the losses you make as your entertainment expense.
- Never increase your betting frequency in an attempt to recover lost cash.
- Avoid at all costs the temptation to use your credit card to gamble.
- Don’t place your bets on every sporting event.
- Never take betting as a way to relieve stress or depression.
- Set a limit on the number of days to bet in a week.
- Always expect to lose because there is no guarantee you’ll win.
- Don’t borrow cash to bet.
Self-exclusion, also known as voluntary exclusion, is a policy passed by governments or casinos to help combat gambling addiction. This is how it works. A bettor who realizes they are addicted to gambling requests for the addition of their names to the self-exclusion list.
Besides, the request is mostly in written form for verification and reference purposes.
Upon the acceptance of the request, the applicant for self-exclusion becomes legally banned from gambling. But, that applies to the casinos partaking in the self-exclusion program. And, note that any attempt to enter such casinos when you are on the self-exclusion list is unlawful.
So, you risk arrest for trespass, which is punishable by law. On top of that, you may lose any winnings and credits you have on your account.
Sports Betting History in Michigan
Michigan became the 20th state in the U.S to legalize sports betting. Therefore, mobile sports betting is likely to launch soon. It could be by the end of 2020 or early 2021. There were successful talks in December 2019 that saw sports betting, and poker become legal.
Besides, the Michigan Gambling Control Board is finalizing the drafting of the rules and regulations to govern online sports betting. And, notable sportsbooks have entered into partnerships with different Casinos restaurants in MI to provide online sports betting services.
Currently, there are three commercial casinos in MI. The casinos are in the Detroit area. Further, there is a total of 24 tribal casinos in different quarters of the state. Also, all the casinos require is a separate license for online sports betting.